It’s been a busy week here with getting our new cock settled, patiently waiting for that first egg from our girls (which has not yet materialised) and making some key decisions on our house design. I’ve somehow managed to keep up with my reading. There was lots of interesting stuff on the net this week. Did any of you get duped by an April Fool’s joke? I know I did!
Here are a few of my favourite reads from the past week:
- As you know, these days I’m all about chickens and this chicken beauty pageant from Malaysia really made me smile, as did these stunning chicken portraits.
- Voting is now open on this year’s Saveur Best Food Blog Awards. Out of over 30,000 nominations the judges have selected just 6 finalists in each of 13 categories. Voting is open to the public. These sites represent the crème de la crème of food blogs and are worth a look for the mouthwatering photography alone.
- I very much enjoyed this article on Laurie Colwin in the New York times. I hadn’t heard of Laurie before but I’m a big fan of MFK Fisher, with whom she is compared in the article. I have now ordered a copy of “Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen” and will report back later on whether or not the comparison is justified.
- I’m very happy to see these raw milk vending machines popping up around Europe. Getting raw milk is not a problem here in Lithuania but I would love to see these machines installed in Ireland.
- The monthly Nikon photo competition always makes me yearn to improve my photography skills. This month’s photos have also given me itchy feet – I think it might be time to get our van back on the road.