Spring has truly sprung here in Lithuania over the past week. The weather has been warm and sunny and there has been an explosion of growth. The fruit trees have blossomed and the bees are buzzing busily gathering nectar for delicious honey. Dandelions have shot up and are providing a welcome feast for my girls. If only they would produce an egg I know they would have the most golden yolks imaginable.
Here are a few of my favourite reads from the past week:
- I hate the idea of battery chickens and this story about a rescued battery chicken brought a smile to my face. I’m a bit off a bird brain myself sometimes.
- I enjoyed this article in the Guardian. I’m struggling to find some of these items, but I’m hoping that this week’s spurt of growth will have produced some wild garlic in our nearby forests.
- In anticipation of having an abundance of fabulously fresh eggs any day now I enjoyed this round-up of egg cookbooks in the Washington Post.
- I love the idea of these Spring resolutions. I’ll definitely be adopting some of these and hope to come up with a few extra of my own.
- I’m very happy to see that free bread and water are making a comeback in restaurants. In some countries it is the norm to be charged a nominal fee for bread, water and condiments, but having grown up in a country that provides (or at least, used to provide) these free of charge I am always loathe to pay for them.